Sunday, October 24, 2010

ARTIST SPOTLIGHT: JOHNNY BLOOD

Photo Preview

     Johnny Blood kicks ass.  I just wanted to get that out of the way before I even started with the basics.  As for the basics.......Mr Blood hails from Amagansett, over on the south fork.  He is a veteran of the music world on Long Island that has built an impressive resume in many areas of the business.  His music can be heard everywhere, whether it be as a session player, on film or television, or as the axe man in the Nancy Atlas Project.  Personally, as a guitarist myself, I love Johnny Blood's solo material.  His song writing and production style is right up my alley.  Driving rhythms with touches of ethnic and symphonic soundscapes provide the backbone for a high energy guitar fury.  The lead work is fat....not over played, more tasty with nods to blues, rockabilly, and psychedelia.  The lyrical content is sarcastic, wry, and oh so painfully on the spot.  It has a punk attitude but doesn't come across as punk music so much.  I couldn't come up with a popular reference.  In the end, I came up with a cocktail that can describe, as least to these ears, Johnny Blood.  Put these 5 guys in a blender, and you'll get something similar:  Frank Zappa, Rob Zombie, Gary Moore, Reverend Horton Heat, and Eddie Spaghetti. 
     I could pick a few songs to mention as stand outs, but it's really not necessary.  Just click on the player here and take your pick.  It's all good.  If that doesn't work for ya, I suggest you start with 'The Sun Don't Shine'.  You can catch Johnny live on November 26th at The Stephen Talkhouse with the Nancy Atlas Project.  


No comments:

Post a Comment